With the rise of memory foam mattresses in our homes, we are all sleeping more comfortably, mattresses are more eco-friendly than ever before and they’re easily accessible online. Unfortunately there’s still a learning curve on exactly how we should be taking care of and cleaning our memory foam mattresses. Here are a few tips on how to keep your memory foam mattress as clean as possible.
- Vacuum off all dirt, pet dander, hair, lint and other debris.
- Use a mild dish detergent mixed with water to remove any stains. It’s best if stains are treated as soon as possible after they occur, although sometimes time may lapse. If this happens, you may need to supplement with a vinegar and water mixture to be a bit more thorough. A vinegar mixture will also help to remove any odors. Bleach and other harsh chemicals may irreversibly damage the foam materials, so stick with gentler and more natural alternatives.
- The best option for drying out your memory foam is to place it outside in the sunshine to dry out naturally. If this option isn’t accessible to you, place baking soda onto the wet, recently cleaned spot and allow it to sit for around 30 minutes. After it has sufficiently soaked up the dampness, vacuum up the baking soda. If there’s still any dampness remaining, use a hair dryer on a lower setting to finish the process (hotter settings may melt or damage the memory foam).
- Always use a machine washable mattress protector for an extra layer of protection between household debris and your porous memory foam mattress.
- Repeat this process at a minimum of once every 6 months to keep your memory foam mattress clean and a healthy place for you to get your best night’s sleep!