Skip to content
25% Off Best-Selling Toppers
June 12, 2019
Tips for Falling Asleep Faster
- Take a warm shower. Raising your body temperature and then cooling it rapidly by getting out of the shower will signal to your body that it’s time to start releasing melatonin and getting sleepy.
- Try “boxed breathing”. Breathe in, hold the breath, breathe out and pause all for exactly equal counts. Try starting by counting to 4 for each step and building it as you practice over time.
- Stick to a sleep schedule. Your body will get used to going to sleep at the same time each night and your mind will turn off easier.
- Avoid naps during the day. Naps will inhibit you from getting to your most tired at bedtime and may keep you awake longer. If you have trouble falling asleep, don’t nap.
- Eat a high-fat meal for dinner. If your dinner is high-carb, make sure you eat at least 4 hours prior to bedtime.
- If anxiety is keeping you awake, implement a meditation practice into your nightly routine.
- Listen to relaxing music or use a sound machine/app.
- Watch your caffeine intake. If you’re having trouble falling asleep, try limiting how late in the day you drink caffeine or cut it out entirely.
- Try magnesium or melatonin supplements.
- Make sure you have the right mattress, pillows and bedding so that you are comfortable and able to rest easily!