Your mattress is an investment, and although there will inevitably be a time when it will have to be replaced, there are some things we can all do to extend your mattress’ life. Below are some tips that are guaranteed to help you keep your mattress in great shape for as long as possible
- Make sure you have the proper support so that your mattress doesn’t sag. If you don’t require a box spring, make sure that your bed frame is equally supportive.
- Always use a mattress protector! Using a mattress protector, right from the very beginning, will keep your mattress clean and protect it from damage.
- Wash your linens often. Dust, debris, and mites are all getting transferred from your linens to your mattress, dirtying it. Wash your sheets about once a week and your duvet cover once every two weeks. You can wash the duvet itself each season, or about four times a year.
- Keep your animals off the bed. Although sleeping with your pets isn’t the worst idea, if you’re trying to extend the life of your mattress, it’s better not to. Pet dander and possible damage will only shorten the life of your mattress.
- If you’re transporting your mattress, make sure to use a mattress bag. You can prevent damage, especially if your mattress is memory foam.
- Once every few months air your mattress out on a sunny day. Airing out your mattress will kill dust mites and evaporate any excess moisture that may be trapped.